How to lose your menopause belly!
Weight gain during menopause is one of the most common and frustrating problems that women face.
During this time, the body experiences a natural decline in hormones such as estrogen and progesterone, which can result in several physical and psychological changes, including unwanted weight gain, commonly referred to as the ‘menopause middle’.
The hormone fluctuations during menopause cause the body’s metabolism to slow down, making it more difficult for women to lose weight or maintain their desired weight. And as if that is not enough, the hormonal changes cause the body to store more fat, particularly in the abdominal area which can make weight management even more difficult.
Don’t lose hope, because with the right information, support, and strategies it can be managed effectively.
Follow these 5 steps to help lose your ‘menopause middle’;
- Understanding the changes. It is important for women to understand the changes their bodies are going through during menopause and to seek out the right information and support to help manage these changes. This can include reading out to healthcare providers, connecting with other women who are experiencing similar symptoms, and researching information about menopause and weight management.
- Good nutrition. Eating a balanced diet that is rich in fibre, protein, and healthy fats, eliminating refined sugars and processed foods, can help support healthy weight management. When women focus on quality over quantity with nutrient dense meals, they tend to consume fewer empty calories that contribute to weight gain.
- Exercise. Regular physical activity can help boost metabolism, build muscle, and burn calories, which can all help to prevent weight gain and support health weight management. Exercise also has a positive impact on mental health.
- Social Connections. Building strong social networks and connecting with other women who are experiencing similar symptoms can provide much-needed support and help women feel less isolated during this confusing time.
- Supplementation. Seeking help through supplementation can help ease other menopause symptoms such as hot flushes, sleep disturbances, and mood changes which can all contribute to weight gain and make weight management more difficult.
By implementing these five actions, women can effectively manage their weight during menopause and begin to feel confident and comfortable in their own bodies again.
Menopause doesn’t have to be a time to lose hope in your future, in fact it is the perfect time to invest in your health and focus on what your body needs to live with optimum vitality and longevity.
Written by Mona Hecke
Mona Hecke is a degree qualified Naturopath, nutrition specialist and health and wellness writer.
With over 20 years in the health industry, beginning with a focus on children and families, and a bestselling book ‘The Lunchbox Revolution’, Mona is now empowering women through education and conversation to take action and embrace change. Gut health, mindfulness, nutrition, hormones, and menopause are the topics that women want and need to know to create their healthy future.
Mona holds certifications in Lifestyle Coaching, Kinesiology, holistic herbal medicine, and nutrition.
A recognised leader in the health industry, Mona’s strong social media presence and passion for influencing change will continue to be a catalyst for health reform for the benefit of every Australian.