RECIPE: Red Lentil Dip
This is the most fabulous recipe loved by young and old alike. Not only is it good for you, packed with protein, complex carbs, resistant starch and calcium, it’s super versatile as you can add a variety of vegetables and leftovers to create the base for a delicious soup too!
• 1 ½ cups Red Lentils (rinsed)
• 750ml liquid (water, stock, tomato puree)
• 2 tablespoons tomato paste
• 1 tin chopped tomatoes
• 2 onions finely chopped
• 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
• 4-6 spring onions
• 2 carrots grated
• 1 capsicum finely chopped
• 2 bay leaves
• Coriander leaves chopped (for presentation)
• Spices - curry powder, oregano, salt & pepper, soy sauce (or tamari), turmeric, fresh chilli, sweet chilli - add as much or as little as you like depending on your level of spice tolerance and taste
Lightly sauté onions and garlic, add capsicum and carrots, then add everything else. Bring to a simmer for approx. 40 minutes until lentils are soft and all liquid has been absorbed. You will need to stir regularly and may need to add liquid as you go to prevent sticking. You want to end up with a consistency that can be picked up with a corn chip. Remember to remove bay leaves before serving.
TIP: This recipe is ideally served warm with plain corn chips, or it can be made into a delicious soup with added stock and finely chopped celery.